Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Why middle school?

I've always know what I wanted to be when I "grew up."  There was something about the lure of the classroom that imprinted itself upon me early in life.  Of course it may be in my genes -- three grandparents and a mom who were all teachers MAY have influenced me.  I simply don't remember a time when I didn't want to teach.

As my talents grew, it became evident that I love language arts.  Creating, playing with words, enjoying their rhythm, combining them in ways that have never been done before.  I loved reading the stories of others, learning from them, seeing how they used words to evoke passion in people, give new perspective, and engage in life.  My grandmother was an English teacher; she warned me -- many hours would be spent grading, planning, preparing; however, this was what I was destined to do.

Specifically, I was going to be a high school English teacher.  You know the one -- the one who inspires you, motivates you to be MORE, the one who you groan when you hear her name (but you secretly love because she WILL stretch you).  I soared through college "knowing" this.

Then I got a job teaching middle school.

Remember that time?  Most people say, "I hated middle school."  I agree.  I did, too.  Kids were awful.  Mean.  Really mean.  Horribly mean.  I was awkward.  Even though I didn't realize it at the time, everyone was awkward.  How do we fit in?  Do we want to stand out?  What if they laugh at me?  What if they make me feel less than I am?  Then the doubt sets in -- what if I am less than I imagined?

But -- what if I had a teacher who made that just a little bit better?

Could I do it?  Could I possibly be the one to help navigate those waters?  Could I help kids see their potential?  What can one person do?

It turns out that one person can do a lot. 

I strive to make my classroom a place to feel safe because feeling safe allows the child to take risks.  Ultimately those risks lead to success.  See, I believe that every single child in that room CAN be successful.  It's helping to create a climate where they CHOOSE to be successful that's important.  It's finding what works for them.  It's showing them that YOU BELIEVE they can be successful.  Am I perfect?  Never.  Do I love them?  Always. 

That is why I choose middle school.  Every. single. time.

My students bless me.  Every. single. day.

3 comments:

  1. You are an amazing teacher, who does more than stretch her students. You encourage, build, and guide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    I remember interviewing for the district I'm in now... "Why do you want to teach middle school?" was asked of me. Hah! I didn't really want to! (I don't remember my answer...) I have heard myself, however, tell 7th grade girls in confidence that "Junior high was the worst 2 years of my childhood." They cringe, then smile as I go on to say, "It gets better, believe me." Oh, how I hated 7th and 8th grade... so I make it my purpose for those students who struggle to LOVE 7th grade - at least LA class, right?! And what I love about middle school now is that we have time each day to talk to the other teachers on the team - so we can share our students' struggles, and work on helping them through it together. Keep on telling those students of yours "you matter," and hopefully - at least ONE time - it will stick.

    Congrats on your blog!! Thank you for sharing, and it's been great learning with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've answered all the reasons why I choose to write books for middle-schoolers. And while I can't be there for each child I know my books can be. (I remember the names of all my English teachers from middle school through high school, great teachers, all of them!)

    ReplyDelete