Saturday, August 31, 2013

Thoughts from a mom - every child matters

I still remember the first time I heard it. 

"We think your daughter may have arthrogryposis."

I was 20 weeks pregnant.  Scared. 

The world isn't always nice to people with disabilities.

At that point I knew this child would have a different walk in life.  I devoured stories on arthrogryposis, interviewed doctors, created a plan of attack for when she was born to give her the best possible physical outcome in life.  At three days old, she was already doing physical therapy and occupational therapy.  We spent hours stretching her limbs, drove weekly to Iowa City to get her legs casted, engaged in play that would encourage movement.

At a year we added water therapy to the mix, this is where she learned the motion of walking.  Next was horse therapy (hippotherapy) which helped to strengthen her muscles. 

Adults usually fell in love with her.  They appreciated her determination, strength, funny stories, and songs.

Unfortunately, the kids at school were not as kind.

This broke my heart.  Shattered it.

Honestly, this is a hard post to write.  It's hard to hear that kids make fun of your child - how she moves, how she eats, how she can/can't do certain things that come easily to them.  It's hard to see her sitting isolated at lunch where people talk over her. It's hard to know that people have parties and invite the entire class, but not her. It's worse when they do invite her and uninvite her when other kids make fun of them for asking her.

Especially when she is an incredible kid. 

However, this pain has made me a better teacher.  Every single child who sits in a classroom matters.  It is my job to show them HOW they matter.  They are valuable, bring gifts, and have a unique perspective that no other person in the world has. 

Take a moment and think about those words -- no other person has your perspective. No one has your gifts. No one will filter information exactly the way you do. THAT makes you valuable.  You will leave your fingerprints on the world because you are unique.

See that.  As a mother, I beg all teachers to see that.  I mean, REALLY see that. Find ways to encourage your students to see this in each other.   Allow your students to shine.  Find connections that engage them and connect them.  Always let them know that they are important.  They matter!  When it's difficult, walk with them.  That's the way to let them learn to walk on their own.   Sometimes this is messy, but the mess is worth it.  The clean-up process is valuable.

Fortunately for my daughter, she has learned from her experiences as well.  We are now in a new school, and she is loving it.  Her talent for leading is bubbling up.  Her confidence is growing.  Repairs are being made, and she is emerging as a compassionate friend along the way.

But she's not the only one. There are kids in the world who feel alone, unvalued, unloved. 

Choose to be the one who changes that for them.

I have many goals this year - they include growth in reading, writing, grammar, speaking, listening, and compassion.  Why?  Because every child matters, and when they move on, I want them to know that I care.  That they are important.  Their thoughts matter.  Greatness is attainable.

7 comments:

  1. I plan on sharing your post with my 5th grade class. We are starting Wonder on Wednesday to be followed by Out of My Mind. Your message will help make the fiction real.

    Thank you for this eloquent post. I'm going to tape your last paragraph on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter and I loved that book! Thank you for teaching such important literature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reminding me of priorities this year. Julieanne check out http://mrwreadsblogspot.ca/2012/03/wonder while reading Wonder. My students loved making these connections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link. I love Mr. Shu :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy,
    I highlighted this post in my post. Hope it gets more people reading this. http://jarhartz.wordpress.com/2013/09/01/making-a-safe-place-for-risky-thinking/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Julieanne! Any way to spread the word is appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a corollary to your story. Your daughter has the advantage of having a well informed mother. So many students have little to no support from parents (for various reasons). Those kids need even more support and more understanding. Thank you for the personal, powerful post. Thanks for reminding me what I need to do for my students.

    ReplyDelete