Saturday, September 7, 2013

Making today count

I've had one of the best starts to the school year ever.  Why?  Well, I credit my PLN, but if you're reading this, you're probably part of it, so you get it.  #twitterisawesome

Seriously, I have always been a good teacher.  I love kids, connect to them, am willing to be goofy with them, and I learn along the way.

However, this summer there was a shift.  It started with Dave Burgess's book Teach Like A Pirate.  I loved the inspiration, passion, creative spirit he brings to each engagement - for kids and adults.  That being said (read the book if you haven't), what made me stop was his perspective that each day counts - in fact each HOUR counts.  After all, it's the only chance the kids sitting in your room will have an opportunity to experience it.  Woah! It is the ONLY opportunity for that CHILD.  Since I want each one to experience success, the articulation of this concept stopped me.  Have I always given my best EVERY hour?  Can I really say that I bring it to the table EVERY time the bell rings?

It's not a new concept, but EACH day is the only time you will be given the gift of that day.  Ever.  I used to think of days like that at Christmas, Thanksgiving, The Fourth of July, even birthdays - but any normal day?  They can blend together.  Sometimes it's a wish to hurry through to get to Friday, or a holiday, or a big event.  Hold the phone - don't wish that time away.  It goes too quickly as is.

Don't let the "normal" days get away - CHOOSE to make them great. special. important.

We had a Pep Talk this week by Kid President.  It referenced one of my favorite poems by Robert Frost,  "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled . . . and it HURT!  Thorns!  Broken glass!" (KP's quote)  This led to a great conversation about what being GREAT looks like - how sometimes great means you do your homework instead of a video game, how it means trusting the process and growing, how it allows you to be surprised along the way, and grow when it's difficult.  Choose to make your learning a priority, and success is inevitable.

Someone was listening. 

On the heading of their paper --
"Today is the sixth of September 2013 -- it's the only one you get, so make it count."

Love it.

He did.  He made it count.  He made a decision to make it count.

So this is my challenge to myself, MAKE IT GREAT.

After all, this is the only seventh of September in the year 2013, how will I make it GREAT?

How will you?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,
    Fantastic post!! I love your commitment to making each day count and to "bringing it" for your students. That comment on the top of the student paper is just one small sign of the enormous impact you are having on the lives of kids. Clearly a sign that, despite the title of your blog, you are NOT "just another middle school teacher"...you are a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,
    Your comments to me mean more than you know. :) I chose the name because I believe we are everywhere - making a difference, changing lives, and educating the future. When you choose to be a middle school teacher, I hope it's because you're choosing to educate through a difficult point in life.
    Have a GREAT day! :)

    ReplyDelete