Sunday, September 15, 2013

Being positive - a choice that matters.

I started the weekend in a funk.  I'm not really sure why - though it was probably due to exhaustion.  I ended up arriving home at 6:15 and asleep by 6:30 p.m.  Crazy.

I woke up and went to my "fill up the spirit" place - my PLN on Twitter.  Then a read an article written by a parent about homework.  I know the spirit of the share was to point out that kids have activities outside of school that are just as important to their overall development as school.  I admit it, I left Twitter on Saturday grumbling.

It was just written as a dig to teachers.  Once again putting more pressure to do more, be more within very serious time constraints.  It was like another door closing as a possible venue of giving kids time to reflect and produce outside of the (usually) 55 minutes I see them a day.  It's hard to write in 55 minutes - especially with 30 other kids in the room, the phone ringing, teacher conferencing, schedule interruptions, etc.

I get the homework thing - I have four kids - busy, active kids.  None of them drive yet.  Daily I spend a minimum of two hours taking them from one place to another - I sit and work through choir practice, football practice, baseball practice, and physical therapy.  I cheer them on at games, performances, and productions.  I make time to eat with them, celebrate them, and help them with homework.  In addition, we work on time management.  My husband is great, but he's usually gone from Monday - Friday working hard at various assignments around the country.

However, that schedule isn't the teacher's fault.  She has requirements, pressures, and is working hard to make sure my child is prepared for life. 

I thought about it a lot throughout the weekend.  After taking a step back, I asked myself what was really bothering me?  Was it the fact that she insinuated that I did nothing at night?  Was it the fact that she didn't realize I work hours every vacation and weekend?  Was it the fact that there is constant pressure from all sides to be more, do more, and require less?  Was it simply the fact that I was tired?

Honestly?  It was probably a little of each. 

So I woke up Sunday with a new attitude.  A deep breath, a long walk with the dog, and some time to reflect.  What can I do to change the author's mind?  Probably nothing.  I don't know her.  I doubt she'll ever read this.  What can I do to change MY perspective?   Everything. 

First of all, as a teacher who is also a parent, I always try to allow for TIME to accompany assignments that will happen outside of school.  We have conversations in class about looking at the calendar and not waiting until the last moment.  For example, my students are writing a 500 word + paper over the next two weeks.  I informed parents last weekend, then we began previewing and brainstorming this week.  I gave them a sample paper - a rough draft that I wrote (see previous blog).  I had them assess the rough draft using the rubric - getting familiar with what skills I was looking for.  Then I assigned the rough draft due next Wednesday.  That gives them the choice to do it over the weekend, or during the first few days next week. 

Guess what?  The kids are excited about this assignment.  They keep stopping me in the hallways to tell me exactly what they're going to write about.  They WANT to share their stories and their treasures.  I've even gotten a few e-mails this weekend with them wanting to share ideas with me.

Yes, this will require valuable work outside of my class.  In my class we will be busy reading short stories, evaluating theme, looking for evidence.   We will look at our overarching question of "What makes something treasure instead of trash?"  We will practice thesis statements and how they drive the paper.  Outside of class they'll use what we're discussing to write their personal narrative.  On Wednesday we'll meet to discuss the paper, evaluate the rough draft, conference with small groups and peers, identify areas of strength as well as weakness.  The final copy will be due the following Monday.

The excitement is what finally got through my thick skull this morning.  (Well, and an awesome #sunchat conversation.)  Would this parent have been upset if the kids were excited about doing the work?  What if she was included in the rationale behind the work?  What if her kids were allowed to budget their time between work at home and work from school over a few days?

Would being positive have impacted this situation?  Would it be less of an "us" vs. "them"?  Would it be more of a team?

Being positive is important.  Relationships are important.  How you approach people is important.  Setting it up takes time, but the payoff is invaluable. 

Start with a smile.  Take a moment to get to know the people you surround yourself with.  Figure out what makes them feel valuable - with some it's a kind word, a quick note, a special reward, a good deed, others may feel value in other ways.  In doing this, you'll often make a difference that will be felt for years to come. 

I face the new week with my spirit renewed.  I look forward to Monday with a smile on my face.  I'm excited to hear from students this week. 

I choose to look at every challenge as an opportunity.

I encourage you to do the same.

2 comments:

  1. Amy, one of my mottos is this, from Charles Swindoll - Attitude is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it. You've known this, and this weekend you put it into action. That's the most difficult part - nice going! Another thing I do - surround myself with positive people. Thank you for being one of those positive pieces in my life. You help make me who I am.

    Enjoy the new week ahead, and share your enjoyment with your students - you KNOW how contagious it is!!

    Fondly,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Joy. I love that quote, too. We usually write about it during the year - especially when spirits are flagging.

    ReplyDelete