Sunday, June 22, 2014

Creative Confidence -- The Failure Paradox

I've been reading a book entitled Creative Confidence by @kelleybros as a suggestion from Rik Rowe. 

To start with, it's been an affirmation of my life and what I believe.  I encourage all to read it -- it will reawaken the childlike wonder that we all had before humanity had an oportunity to make us doubt.

Blessed are those who escaped that doubt.  I know you exist because I see evidence of it every day.

One of the early sections that really spoke to me was "The Failure Paradox."

After all, "in our experience, one of the scariest snakes in the room is the fear of failure, which manifests itself in such was as fear of being judged, fear of getting started, fear of the unknown.  And whole much has been said about fear of failure, it still is the single biggest obstacle people face to creative success."

Fear. It can be crippling.

It keeps us from living to our creative potential.  It creates a "fixed" mindset, where people would rather shut down than enjoy the process.  I read a "mommy" blog earlier this week where she mentioned that all of her friends just watched the kids swim instead of jumping in with them.  Why?  Will others judge me if I get in? What if I don't look my best?  What if my stroke is awkward? What if I stand out?  It becomes an opportunity missed.

I prefer the "growth" mindset.  You see. I'm going to fail, and I'm sure I'll be judged.  I agree with what the Kelly brothers said about Thomas Edison, "He understood that an experiement ending in failure is not a failed experiment -- as long as constructive learning is gained."

I read a book written by a 15-year-old this week that blew me away.  It was about a young lady who was applying "popularity" advice from the 1950s to today's society.  She often felt like a failure in the book, but she kept pushing through.  Some people called her names, made her cry, yet she also discovered that most people are basically nice.  That reaching out to people was important - relationships were important.  It's more important to be true to yourself than worry about what others think. (Popular:  Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek)

I know I learned a lesson from her.  Thank you, Maya Van Wagenen.  I'm impressed with your growth mindset.  I'm keep you on my list of "must read" authors.

As a teacher I need to push my students to try, to accept failure, to learn, to grow, to try again.  I have my "Wall of Failure" on the back of my room filled with famous names -- The Beatles, Michael Jordan, Babe Ruth, J.K. Rowling, Abraham Lincoln, Lucille Ball, Marilyn Monroe just to name a few.  Imagine a world without one of them.  Imagine what could have happened if they listened to the people who said they were not enough -- not talented enough, not fast enough, not pretty enough, not funny enough, etc.  I keep one poster blank for the person who did listen, and the world will never know.

In a world where numbers are important, let's remember to engage in the act of stepping outside the box.  Let's teach that failing is okay, as long as it doesn't stop you.

Let's not let another blank poster go up on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment