Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Just Another Middle School Teacher --

I often have people ask me about my blog title.  "Just Another Middle School Teacher . . . " it makes them uncomfortable.  After all, the term "just another" implies that someone doesn't stand out, doesn't make a difference, doesn't try new things.

I see it in a different way -- let's look at my perspective.

You see, I love what I do. There is rarely a day that I'm not excited to get to school, learn with my students, try new things, have fun with words.

But I think there are a lot of people like me.

Every day there are people in the trenches just like me - working their hardest with the tools they are given.  I know that each teacher brings a special gift, a talent, a unique view of the world.  And when we work together - magic happens.

Together - as a team - we are more.  I am proud to be a part of that team.

There are so many educators that I admire.  Many I know personally.  There are teachers that I've worked with in Kansas, Minnesota, and Tennessee that really make a difference. Every. Single. Day.  I am proud to have physically worked alongside such talent.

Then there is Twitter. The last year has opened my eyes to possibilites exponentially.   Every time I sign on there is the potential for lightning. I see teachers making a difference in so many ways.  It's made me better at what I do.  It doesn't matter if you have 10 tweets or 10,000 - your voice can be heard.  Every single one of you makes a difference. I am proud to be a part of my PLN.

See -- it's not "just another" in a push aside way.  It's "just another" in that I'm another pair of hands trying to do the best I can.  I'm not someone with all of the answers, all of the solutions, even all of the problems.  I'm grateful for the opportunity to do what I love.

Because the focus really shouldn't be on me -- it should be on learning, growing, and discovering.

This is why I struggle on #FF -- you see, I would have everyone follow all of you, and 140 characters simply isn't enough.  I start to put groups together, but it's impossible because if you're reading this you SEE the possible.  I'm just another teacher because we are ALL valuable, and I believe we have the most important job in the world.

So in my own way, I'm proud to be "just another middle school teacher." 

3 comments:

  1. I would be one of those guilty of feeling uncomfortable with the "just another" tagline. At the same time, I am also guilty of using it often with myself. I get your point - the emphasis isn't on you as an individual, but as a part of the whole. And I agree with you. At the same time, I recognize we are each fearfully and wonderfully made; unique, amazing, and beautiful individuals. I don't consider any of my children students, friends, or colleagues to be "just another".
    Perhaps this dilemma can be best explained by the name a father gave his 2nd born son, Advitya. The name means "second to none". He wanted his son too know while he may be the second born, he is also incredibly unique and special on his own. The son treasures the name, and it shows in the confidence he carries himself with. He is not "just" another son. He is second to none.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Point taken . . . tweaked the name. It's always more about the us, and less about the individual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this! As teachers, we are part of a system and it takes all of us to educate our students. That attitude of teamwork in your building and PLN is exactly what it takes to put the focus on learning. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete