Sunday, August 3, 2014

True Leadership

I was sitting in church this morning enjoying the music when I watched our senior pastor (who is younger than me) join in the church band with his guitar.

He wasn't center stage, didn't need to stand out, just quietly joined in.

The music was beautiful.

It made me think of leadership skills.  You know, the leader who serves others just because it needs to be done.  The leader who brings chairs down to a classroom because they got moved over the summer, sends you a note in the mail to tell you that it was noticed that you were doing amazing things, who scrubs the graffiti off of the walls, who runs a report when you need it despite a million other pressing duties.  It made me think of the type of leader I want to be in my classroom.

I've always been of the mindset that there is no job that I'm above, and every job deserves my very best effort.  From serving someone yogurt, leading karaoke sessions, helping to cater, working in an office, teaching swimming lessons to teaching a class full of students, every job deserves my best me.  Someone has given me an opportunity to improve life for those around me and an expectation that I should do it with a willing heart.

I intentionally think about the topic of leadership in my classroom.  I do not ask my students to do anything that I'm not willing to do as well.  It is my hope that they recognize that I sweep the floor, pick up books, hand them pencils, work beside them, whatever the day may bring.  There are times that I'll ask for help, but others where I simply want them to see what it means to extend a helping hand. 

Yes, I control things in my room.  I do most of this by having clear expectations, honest conversations, and sharing why it's important to have some order.  I get passionate, dance, sing, and occasionally get a little loud, but it all comes back to the quality of serving the needs of those kids who are assigned to my room.  Serving them because I love them and care about their future.

Along the way, I hope I impact them in ways that will grow over years.  I hope I have them a different perspective from which to view life.  I hope I showed them grace. I hope that I gave them a sense of true leadership.

Leadership as a leader. Leadership as a servant. Leadership as a learner alongside them.

Thank you to the silent leaders in all walks of life.  The ones who do it because it needs to be done.  You are noticed and appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's important for students to know that leadership has many forms. Servant leadership can and should start at a young age. It's through serving others that they learn what their strengths are and how others can be blessed through their giving of time and efforts, even in the little things.

    Reminds me of a leadership self-assessment that I filled out last Tuesday. It was based on different approaches to work, styles, and value-oriented words. It was no surprise that I was the "Empathy" leadership style. I also value the leaders who are learners as well - do what needs to be done while supporting all along the way.

    Thank you for these great reminders of leaders that make a difference - the ones we all strive to be!

    ReplyDelete