Thursday, October 16, 2014

Peace

As I sit here on a quiet morning, rain gently pattering against my window, spending some precious time alone with my thoughts and God, I can feel the quiet whisper of peace soothing my soul.

There are things in life that have me troubled now.  I believe the evil one does his best to turn up the volume on that chatter, to distract, to discombobulate, to disconcert.  He screams questions in my ear, echoes the dark doubts of my heart, demands my attention.

Therein likes the problem. I have a tantruming toddler doing his best to distract me from peace.

So where does my attention go?  The toddler who delights in my fears, encourages my doubts, engages in distraction or to the one who tells me not to worry?

It's amazing how fast I can be humbled by God.

Matthew 6: 25-34


"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?  Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life ?  


"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin.  Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.  If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?  \


So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'  For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.  But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.


Therefore today I'm going to choose peace.  Allow the whispers to calm my worries and give them to the person who can do something about them.  Spend time listening to Him.  Turn down the volume on the constant chatter.

Today I will seek Him and the peace He provides.  I will intentionally seek His will above my own.  Today I will breathe easy and trust.


Thank you to Holly (@muellerholly) for her leadership and encouragement in the writing the weekly spiritual blog posts around a common theme.  Check out her master link at:  http://www.hollymueller.blogspot.com/  Feel free to join us.





5 comments:

  1. I love how I can feel your peace come through these words. "...today I'm going to choose peace..." Me too! Thank you for the reminder and for your peace-filled post this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I will intentionally seek Him" and "I'm choosing peace today" These phrases spoke to me this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know we can all identify with the pull of distractions. These verses remind us He takes care of us through it all. Wonderful post, Amy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, your opening, "As I sit here on a quiet morning, rain gently pattering against my window, spending some precious time alone with my thoughts and God, I can feel the quiet whisper of peace soothing my soul," allowed the peace to flow immediately. Thank you for your thoughtful post and scripture reading to start my day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that we must seek peace to find it. Richard Rohr's meditation today spoke about this, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God." The kingdom will not come to us if we don't seek Him.

    ReplyDelete