Monday, October 13, 2014

The Connected Educator #compelledtribe

I began teaching in 1993.  In many ways that feels like a lifetime ago.  Somewhere along the line I went from the youngest teacher on staff to one of the oldest.  I think it happened with the decade that I spent at home raising my own four children.  I remember the steps back to being a part of the educational work force after my hiatus.  I was excited to teach again, nervous, but excited.


You see I had four children, a husband who travelled, and knew few in my immediate community.  My new job was in the school furthest from my home in my county, so I was a 30 minute drive minimum away from home.  I felt like an island - isolated and alone. 


I remember during the interview the principal asked me how I was going to make it work.  It was the question I dreaded most because I wasn't sure myself.  I know I came back with the comment that I loved teaching; it was my calling; I would work to make it work. 


That first year, I did just that.  I made it work.  I loved the kids, followed the scope and sequence, wrote a lot of curriculum, and graded a lot of essays.  My brain remembered the rhythm, the pacing, the love, and the kids responded.  I had a partner in crime, and the strong support of other ELA teachers.  The waters around my island receded.


This is what I've learned -- it's the connection piece that makes it work. 


Our assistant principal (@drizzinkwine) showed me how to take this beyond our district through how he used Twitter.  He kept telling me it was the most powerful tool in social media today.


I thought he was crazy.  He knows this.  I've had to eat my words over and over.


He mentioned a fellow co-worker who used Twitter well (@amsd2dth), encouraged me to give it a try, so I sat down and created an account.  I was immediately frustrated with not knowing how to access the information I wanted, so I assumed it wasn't there.  Therefore I gave it a half-hearted attempt and kept moving on with business as usual.  My account sat neglected.


Though I continued to listen.  That summer Dave Burgess was coming to speak to our staff regarding his book, Teach Like a Pirate.  I looked up an advanced copy of the title so I could see what it was all about.  Around that time my assistant principal popped in to see how things were going.  I swear he opened my eyes more in five minutes than the previous year.  Learning the simple tool of how to see hashtags and notifications - simple, I know, but the simple thing is I DIDN'T know - opened my skill set.  He also dropped a casual challenge - try a chat this summer.  I'm not sure if he remembers it, but he did it.  It changed me professionally.


On a Monday night early that summer, I decided to try the #tlap chat for the first time.  I think I had 9 followers, and I was following maybe 20.  I considered myself a creative teacher; however, that chat opened my eyes to so many possibilities.  I had my notepad down by my computer scribbling out ideas as fast as I could think of them.  I was inspired by the community.  A fellow educator mentioned doing this with an ELA focus (thank you @bhomel1).  I'm was inspired to say - YES! I want to help with this.  I had NO CLUE what I was doing, but I couldn't help it.  Fortunately @joykirr and @krinermom also wanted in.  The four of us led Twitter chats all summer -- #ELAtlap which has evolved into #ELAchat.


That one chat had me.  I have grown more as an educator in the past year and a half then I did in the first ten years combined.  Twitter has given me new perspectives, opened the door to different thoughts, and challenged me to be more for my students.  It provides a wealth of information, encouragement, and inspiration.  I've connected with teachers, authors, and have created a strong PLN that challenges me to stretch in different ways.


So throughout this rambling reflection (hence the title of my blog), I want to send encouragement to educators.  Step out of your comfort zone to become a connected educator.  Ask questions, jump in, be willing to try, be open to learning.  You will find validation, people you agree with, people you disagree with, and people who push you.  All of this will change you in small ways that will impact you as a professional - in positive ways. 


I'll issue you the challenge to pick a chat and try it for a month -- be consistent, engaged, and involved for that month and reassess how you feel at the end.  I have a feeling you'll be hooked, too!

5 comments:

  1. I had the same experience. My acct. sat for a year. I saw @toddwhitaker and he said the same thing. I tried. My eyes were opened. Dave Burgess and George Couros did this even more. I am amazed at those who don't get it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I can relate to this so well! After I first opened my twitter account, it sat idle for about 6 months. I slowly got back into it, but it was leading #ALedchat on Monday nights a few years ago that helped me to make more and deeper connections. I think there are many who see twitter as unconnected tweets until they find a chat to participate in. Thanks for sharing!
    Jennifer
    #compelledtribe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great feedback Amy! It is the chats that have been so inspiring for me. Each week I find myself being engaged in more and more. So much for TV these days! Thanks for sharing your journey with us! Might impressed with your desire to build those ever so important connections!
    Craig
    #compelledtribe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, great post! I agree...chats are like fuel for me. They keep me going. I learn so much from others -- including you! #compelledtribe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Amy! I started my blog and Twitter account over the summer; both have contributed to my professional growth tremendously. The chats are my favorite part of Twitter- each chat opens my eyes to a new idea or perspective. Sounds like your administration is very encouraging. I hope more teachers join this journey with us.

    Allie
    #compelledtribe

    ReplyDelete