Thursday, September 25, 2014

Giving kids a voice.

Amid the fun of Spirit Week, I've had student presenting "Trash to Treasure" narrative essays this week.  I believe sharing these stories are one of the most important things I've done this year. 


I've laughed. I've cried. I felt like we've moved mountains as a class.


It starts with having students write a narrative essay about an object they hold dear.  It's the one thing that brings them happiness, comfort, the physical representation of memories. Students choose all types of objects, but the heart of the assignment remains the same - that everyone has a story to tell.


It changes the atmosphere in a room when you allow this to happen.


Some of the stories are funny.  One wrote about how he treasured his pants and gave insightful reasons behind them.  Interwoven in his story was how the microwave was invented because of a chocolate bar in a pair of pants.  He insists it's true.  I haven't looked yet; however, the story was compelling.  Another demonstrated riding on a clown bike as she described how she rescued it from the garage where it had been hiding for many years.  She and her sister have many memories about those bike.


Others are tasty.  Stories of recipes such as cookies or cheesecake can actually cause your mouth to water.  Beautiful tales are shared of family gatherings or traditions that take place in the kitchen. 


There are many who discuss difficult topics.  Death of family members is particularly difficult.  Holding the healing stone of a child's departed grandparent will tug at your heart.  Medals, hats, even memories that echo throughout houses and communities were all shared. 


All of this serves to weave a sense of community throughout the room.


"We've been friends for years, I never knew why this was so important to you."


"Her story was so beautiful.  I never knew . . . "


Stories humanize.  They give an opportunity to share insight, vulnerability, and build trust. 


There has been a shift in my classroom.  I notice people talking who don't always.  I see smiles that aren't always there.  I see concern for others.


This is a valuable lesson for our students.  As teachers we need to carefully plan the way.


First -- Share your story with the class.  Not only can students relate to you, but they have the opportunity to benefit from a mentor text.  It also gives you an opportunity to see what struggles they will face.


Second -- Allow for time for practice.  Model what you expect of students. 


Third -- When they get to the podium, leave them a note.  Tell them that their words are important.  This may seem silly, but it puts the child at ease.  Remind them to read it.  This gives them a chance to get comfortable in front of the class. 


Fourth -- Have the class share the positive.  I model this first with the students.  We listen to the presentation, and I point out things the child did well through his presentation and writing.  I mention specific words that drew me in, details that were exceptional.  I have each student write a post-it note to the speaker telling him of the things that he did right.  After a few speeches, I have them distribute them and shower the speaker in compliments.


This part is important.  We need to train our students to look for the positive and listen to the good.  For some, these pieces of paper don't mean a lot, but for others, they become treasure within themselves.  I watch kids carefully stack them and keep them in their notebook.


The goals for speaking are things that I will address privately.  I allow kids to practice during my plan - to see what it feels like in front of the room.  If they stumble, I tell them it's okay.  We brainstorm the WORST thing that can happen and dismiss it as impossible.  After all, if it really came true, our presentation would be the least of our worries. :)


Stories are important.  Kids need to find their voice to share their stories.  It can change life for them.


I'll close with one of my amazing stories . . .


I have a student who struggles with social situations.  He is disturbed by noise, and doesn't like sharing in front of the class; however, he also has a desire to do well and complete tasks that are asked of him.  Getting up in front of the classroom with his treasure, he told me that he really didn't want to do this.  I told him that it was okay.  He didn't have to want to, but that I had confidence that he could do it.  The class then joined in with comments of encouragement as well as an appreciation of having him as a member of the class.


So he started speaking.  As he went on, his excitement for his treasure grew.  He had the opportunity to share a special love of his -- a passion for bats.  I knew that he had carefully selected details to put into his paper that painted bats in a positive light for he couldn't bear for anyone to think badly of them.  When he reached the end of his paper, he started to ad-lib.  His natural humor emerged and he kept the class engaged for several minutes longer than the initial assignment.


I was able to sit at watch him shine.  At the end of the day, kids were still talking to him about it.  The last few days he's had an additional pep in his step and smile on his face.


He still tells me he didn't like presenting.  However, what he learned . . . oh what he learned . . . and the gift he shared . . . well, that will live on for a long time.





4 comments:

  1. Amy, what great reminders. I love the paragraph where you talk about modeling for kids how to tell other kids what they do well. We take for granted that kids know... the more we can show what we expect, the better the learning experiences will be. Thank you for always sharing your stories... they are truly gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I can relate to this! Stories are a great way to develop a shared closeness and connect with each other. I like how you showed your students to look for the positive. Great job!
    Traci
    @Fearless_teach

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I love this post. I also am a strong believer that students should write about topics that are meaningful to them. At the end of my writer's workshop we share and I have really been modeling how to give feedback to our peers. (I'm at the elementary level). Thanks for sharing!

    Allie
    #compelledtribe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful story. I love the description of the persuasive essay, designed to change the common perception of the bat. Here's a standards genre being adopted out of love, and the desire to create respect, rather than to meet an external expectation.
    I love the structure you use for initiating and modeling positive comment. As your students mature, you might even consider introducing the old Writing Project tripartite guideline choice for feedback,
    Bless, Press, or Address
    where the first means, only the positive, I'm feeling sensitive about this piece; the second is an invitation to any and all criticism, even when it gets a little edgy; and the third is a request for help on a particular detail or element in the piece that's not working for the author.

    ReplyDelete