Friday, September 5, 2014

Google Classroom -- a glimpse into the learning of tomorrow, today.

As a part of the #compelledtribe, our challenge was to blog about how we were using technology in a new way this year.  I thought about all of the things I do -- from using cameras to capture notes, search engines for enrichment, QR codes, augmented reality, to daily programs such as Twitter or KidBlog.  It has been my goal the last four years to embrace technology for educational purposes in the classroom.  I am blessed to have colleagues who push me to try new programs, as well as encourage me to take risks.  However, the piece that has excited me most this year began with a summer surprise -- 

The start of the school year always brings some technical shockers with it, and this year was no different.  In the past our school has always provided a U: drive for all students.

(Side note -- I remember when I started four years ago and and no idea what a U: drive was.  It's simply a personalized drive for each student in our county.  Students could save papers across years and schools by accessing their drive in any school in our district.)

I've always relied on the U: drive.  Students would be able to write papers from any computer in the district and pick up where they landed in the next class.  We could pull up papers from years past to revise, revisit, and reflect.  It had a lot of value.

I knew they were wiping all student U: drives clean this summer.  As you can imagine the storage for 20,000+ students was enormous.  Last year students saved beloved work to flash drives and e-mailed documents home for saving.

So imagine my surprise when I found out that U: drives were eliminated.

Gone.

No more.

Each student would have internal district access to Google Docs instead.  Through student G-mail accounts, they would be able to communicate and share with anyone within our district.

Now, I've dabbled in Google docs, shared platforms, Google forms (thank goodness for Flubaroo), and the school G-mail accounts.  I've worked with students across these programs, but most of my students were determined to stubbornly cling to personal e-mail.  Despite showing the benefits of Google docs (automatically saves, works across platforms, allows you to conference directly), at the end of the year someone still hadn't activated their account.  I think it's time to challenge them for a little technological growth, don't you?

My dabbling is about to become more serious.

Fortunately I participated in a four hour PD this summer where I learned how one high school teacher runs a paperless classroom via Google docs.  He had a system of folders that required specific names, specific locations, etc.  It worked, but it involved a lot of detail.  I was excited by the possibilities.

I was really excited when I thought about how this could show the digital path of a paper.

However, it was a lot to remember.  He was willing to share, but you know what it's like during the first month of school -- awake at 4:30, home at 8:30, grading, new names, preparing, personal family time.  My team sat down today to revisit his thoughts so we could get our students on board next week.

And in walked a science teacher -- @bsbailey -- someone who is willing to always challenge himself and his students to take risks with technology.  (Seriously, you should follow him on Twitter -- he is amazing.)  Above that, he's always willing to help out a fellow teacher or present new solutions.

Today's was amazing -- Google classroom.  Google it.  I had my classes set up in about five minutes.  Each one will get a unique code that allows them to sort into the correct class.  All you need to do is share the code.  Then each student will have access to all of his classes in the same space.

THIS is the key to the magic.  Documents are automatically shared with teachers, they can have writing groups to peer edit with color coded responses, you can attach mentor texts, videos, slide shows, pretty much anything you need to give your students the tools to be successful.  It keeps a trail on when each paper was submitted, how it was revised, suggestions that peers made, the teacher's comments/grade, and allows the student to resubmit after additional editing.

As a teacher of writing, I can only imagine how this will help my students when reflecting on the process.  I'm excited for our first submission next week.  I'm excited they will be able to work across limits like walls and cables.  I'm excited to take learning to the next level by creating a digital path to demonstrate learning.  I'm excited to literally walk the path with them through reflection.

To put it simply, I'm excited. (Can you tell?)

Yep, some days you'll get a glimpse into the future.  Today I felt it.   It feels great.

7 comments:

  1. I'd be excited too. There's so much the Google enables teachers and, more importantly, students to do. From collaboration to peer editing Google is an example of true technology integration that benefits students and learning. In other words, it's much more than tech for tech's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our teachers are just starting to use Google Classroom, too. Like you, they have been busy with the startup of school, but it's time to revisit Classroom. I love your vision for your students and what they will be able to do with the new tech tool. Can't wait to follow your journey with it!
    Jennifer
    #compelledtribe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This type of excitement is the best kind! The kind that is new and fresh and you know that success is inevitable! Using Google Classroom has been so powerful for those that embrace. Keep that passion alive and encourage others through your modeling and sharing of its return!
    Craig
    #compelledtribe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice share! I've helped a few teachers get their Google Classroom up and running already this year. We were lucky to get early access this summer to mess around with a bit, and with a potential 1:1 Chromebook program in our near future, this will be essential. If it's anything like all of the other Google Apps we've come to know and rely on, it will likely only get better with time & user feedback. Love to hear more as you use throughout the year.
    Jordan
    #CompelledTribe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many teachers have been learning how to use Google Classroom. I am sure with the beginning of the school year this was a daunting task at first. I love your enthusiasm, though! This change is one for the better and I look forward to reading more about how you utilize this in the classroom.

    Allie
    #compelledtribe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your excitement is contagious! We have a teacher here trying Google classroom and he is just as excited. I wish you the best year!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are using Google, but our teachers are not using Google Classroom yet. We are still using Edmodo, which I hear is very similar. I use Google Drive daily and have found so much benefit to using it. Looking forward to hearing more about Google Classroom.
    Jarred
    #compelledtribe

    ReplyDelete