Sunday, September 14, 2014

Truth

Thank you for the inspiration for today's #spiritualjourney blog from Holly Mueller (@MuellerHolly).  I also appreciate the others who are willing to share their journey through a blogging platform.  Your words both influence and inspire.


This week's topic is truth.


I've been thinking about it for a week now.  In fact, the blog was actually due on Thursday, but I was still unclear as to what to say.  Every time I felt a nudge toward my blog, I'd sit.


And the words wouldn't come.


Why?


So I'd pray.  What is it God?  What do I need to learn here?


Obviously I need to learn a lot.  However, I wasn't hearing the answer. 


As I walked into church this morning, I was looking forward to our sermon.  We have a lead pastor who has a way with words.  He brings drama, excitement, and strong biblical teachings every week in a way that resonates in my heart.  My kids and I have the best discussions afterwards, and it keeps us coming back for more.


Today was no exception.  He was preaching on the book of Esther.  As I heard the story again, a strange peace settled over me.  I know what I want to write about.


Truth.


You see, as humans we have many different perceptions of truth.  The themes that we read in stories, the lessons we take away from books, fiction are author's perspectives of truth.  Stories we hear on the news, speeches, even acts of war all provide evidence that announces an air of superiority over another side.  As a human we are bombarded with compelling arguments on this topic every single day.  No one wants to be wrong.  Oftentimes the two sides on any argument are too busy pointing fingers than to really listen.


However, the whisper I heard today came through Esther.  She was worried about approaching her husband with a request.  It was legitimate.  As king he had the right to kill her for doing this.  Therefore her plan was to pray - to listen for God's truth. 


And God had prepared the way.  He used her to offer the world a small glimpse of His provision. Her faithfulness was rewarded greatly. 


That is what I need.  As a human, I don't profess to have all of the answers.  I don't always know what's right.  What I do know that that if I ask, He will give me the answer. My truth comes from Him.  He understands far more than I do, and I have to trust in that.  Completely and even when it's hard.  He uses it.


Which is why I start the day with the prayer, "Lord, set aside my needs today so I can be what You need."  He is my truth.

6 comments:

  1. You waited and the thoughts came to you because you were faithful. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words. Words that we need to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! This was indeed Spirit-given. I agree with Carol - the words came to you! Beautiful words to start your days with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I'm grateful you waited and listened. A blessing for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all of the comments above!! I admire your patience and persistence in waiting to hear God's answer. Thank you for sharing your words and thoughts! Greg said it, "A blessing for all of us."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you waited because obviously God was at work trying to make His message clear to you. Sometimes we have to wait and listen. Prayer is about listening.

    ReplyDelete