Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Fly

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.


When I was thinking about this weeks topic ~ FLY, I ran across this quote.  It wasn't new to me, but for some reason I was able to look at it from a different angle.  It stopped my aimless wandering through Twitter and spoke to me.


After all, isn't it the first step into the unknown that really gives us the ability to fly or reach beyond what is comfortable?


Because comfortable isn't exactly what life is about.  Comfortable can breed an attitude of complacency.  The definition of which is a person who is satisfied with himself.  That is exactly what God doesn't intend for us -- He intends a life that is full of growth.


After all, He isn't finished with me yet.
This is good. 


It kind of sounds like I'm wishing for difficult times, doesn't it?  I'm really NOT, because, well, I'm human.  However, I can step back and see how it's during those difficult times when I embraced faith and kept trudging forward that I was allowed to reach heights that I never knew were possible.


Which teaches me a lesson within itself.  It's when I cling to faith that I focus on what He wants and not me.  It's when I trust Him that he shows me new ways.


His ways -- not mine.


At 20 I would have laughed at you if you told me that at my age I'd have four children, be teaching 8th grade, and living in Tennessee.  My plan was to have my doctorate, be a college professor, and be a strong voice in the field of education.


Yet I'd be missing out on so much wonderful - the overall beauty of my family, the strength of my love, my passion for teaching the exact kids who sit in chairs in my room every day.  I'd miss out on the beauty of the sunrise, the mystery of the fog that walks through the fields on my drive to work, the laughter of my daughter giggling with her friends at lunch.  I'd miss out on being in the exact place, the exact spot that God intends for me to be.  It is so much better than I imagined at 20.


I find it's so much easier to fly when I let go of my control and give it to God.  The Father who has plans for me, who knows me, who loves me despite my shortcomings. 


Therefore, it's with his help that I will use this year to fly.  I want to serve as He needs me to serve.  I want to listen.  I want to learn.


Thank you, Michelle, for giving us this topic to contemplate. 



6 comments:

  1. Amy, this was a very thoughtful post starting with the first quote. God's plan is not always our plan but you found your way to life that is filling you with blessings. I always wanted to be a districtwide administrator for ELA and started my journey at 28. But God had another road for me to follow and so I listened, waited and after around 25 years later finished my administration degree and got my chance to lead. I still am trying to find my way. I think our group is providing an avenue to be more reflective and be able to dig deeper into my faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Amy, thank YOU for this thoughtful post! When I read this line, "I find it's so much easier to fly when I let go of my control and give it to God." I thought YES! YES! YES! Thank you for thinking about FLY and for sharing it. These blog posts are so special to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like a baby bird who launches itself from the nest for the first time must trust that it can fly, we have to let go and let God help us soar. We can do so much more with Him than by ourselves. I agree that we don't necessarily want obstacles, but that is how God smooths our rough edges! I love hearing how Plan Bs happen. They are almost always better than our Plan As!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This says so much about you and your journey through faith. We must let go and let God, but losing control makes us feel wingless. I feel, like you, that our wings are meant to be wings of strength so that we may soar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post reminds me of my goals at the age of 20. I was going to fly from a small town in Indiana to Dallas and be a buyer for a big department store. Enter my husband-to-be and I am still living in that small town and was a stay-at-home for 10 years before becoming a teacher. I know He controlled that, but that is another post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I find it's so much easier to fly when I let go of my control and give it to God." Your words really resonated with me. Giving our lives to God is an ongoing challenge. I love your description of the Father who has plans for us, knows us, and loves us (despite our shortcomings). Good words to remember.

    ReplyDelete