Thursday, July 24, 2014

For Nothing will be Impossible --

It's #spiritualjourney time yet again.  Every Thursday, my goal is to take some time to reflect on my spiritual journal joining several bloggers who want to examine a biblical concept from the viewpoint of several different lenses.

This week is discussing the concept of following - more specifically following His will.

"For nothing will be impossible with God." Luke 1:37.

I love these words.  The hope they impart -- a perfect hope.

I tell my students to be careful when using absolutes -- nothing is a very powerful word. Yet it's absolutely perfect for this verse.  He is denied nothing. 

I looked at my initial class list this year.  Right now they are just names on paper -- a few I know from writing club, yearbook, plays,  older siblings . . . but for the most part they are names.  Searching through them, I find that I've already started my journey with them.  I've already started praying for them - that they will recognize in themselves the beauty they possess.  I've started caring.

What do I see?
Names with so much potential. 

I found myself humbled.  At this exact moment in my life, God has given me an opportunity to help these kids realize their potential.  He brought us together (some from close, others from far away) to sit together in a room and learn.  I began my habit of looking over the names.

Of breathing, "God, let me be what they need.  Let me be what You need."

Last year I got into the habit of starting every day with these words.  During our moment of silence, I reflect on my own biological children, those who have been in my classrooms across the years, and those who will feel my direct impact that day. 

Then I rely on Him to give me the words and tools that I will need. 

It results were amazing.  The change in perspective brought all of us a lot of happiness.

Don't get me wrong. I spend hours searching for, writing, discussing, and planning lessons that will help my students.  I work hard to accomplish what I do -- to foster a love of learning, strengthen writing skills, develop a critical eye toward reading and intention.    However, all of that means little if the child doesn't see his potential -- his unique beauty -- and start to focus on  how his presence will impact the world. 

Therefore, I give the credit to Him.  I follow. I trust.

He will NEVER fail me.

7 comments:

  1. Looking over the names, breathing, "God, let me be what they need. Let me be what You need." They are a gift given to us, for a time. And YOU are a gift, given to them as well.

    Thank you for allowing yourself to be used as a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The importance you place on their names, breathing them in, and making them your own before you even meet them will help to make love the most important part of your teaching. Don't lose sight of His call to you to love each and every one with dignity and honor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. " At this exact moment in my life, God has given me an opportunity to help these kids realize their potential." This is so important! I try to remember this every year. Sometimes by spring I start to forget this. I might need to make a sign that reminds me of this and your prayer, "God, let me be what they need. Let me be what You need."

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing gift you give to your students! Praying over them, asking God for guidance and wisdom! What a blessing you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of breathing, "God, let me be what they need. Let me be what You need."
    Amy, this is so touching. What a blessing you are to those kids who are lucky enough to have you. I read this post the other day, but had to come back and read it again. Really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, LOVE the lines: "God, let me be what they need. Let me be what You need." I am going to adopt that prayer for my school year - it's so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this prayer as well. I have been much more aware of my students this year spiritually, but need to be even more aware. Thanks for the reminder!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete