Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Just a minute

A few weeks ago my pastor preached about the phrase, just a minute.

How often do you say it? 

Often it's mundane.  It's a momentary distraction from something you're doing.  Perhaps it's a guilty minute of wanting to finish a chapter in a book before facing reality.  Maybe it's the snooze button on the alarm clock giving you a minute, or two of continued oblivion.

Other times it can shake your world.

The other day I was having the best day. I spent the majority of the day doing my favorite activities -- reading, writing a blog entry, working on a craft for my room at school.  I had no where I needed to be, the kids were all happily entertained, and I had no restrictions on my time.  (I admit it, I even did a happy dance!)

Then the phone rang.

The phone often rings, but this time it was with devastating news.

Immediately life changed.  Tears, talks, spending the evening trying to make sense of things.  Helping my kids understand, giving them a safe place to share.

But this post isn't about the phone call.  It's about how minutes count in life.

A moment can change the world in the life of a child.  Going out of your way to notice them.  Ask them about something they care about.  Show them you care in tangible ways.

I think in life we often get entangled in distractions and obligations.  Our calendars are full, our pile of work is towering, and we are out to change the world.  We expect our children to know that we care because we work hard.

And we forget that the most important thing we do is simple.  It's relationships.  It's taking the moment to change the world for someone else, shift his point of view, provide a new perspective.

Every moment we're given is a gift. Embrace it.

3 comments:

  1. I just lost a beloved cat. His sickness made me put down the [iPad, project, book] when he came around during his final days, just for a minute and be in the moment. Inevitably went back to what I was doing, but I had a smile on my face. The cat would leave while emitting lawn mower purrs. That same love happens in the classroom on a daily basis. Of course the students don't purr, but they smile or rush to create. The hardest part in the classroom is remembering what I was originally doing sometimes! Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I'm sorry about the loss of your cat. Pets have a special place in our hearts, don't they? I agree - most things happen, "In a moment." Perspective is important.

    ReplyDelete