Monday, July 7, 2014

Why do I read? Authors are heroes.

Today has been a wonderful day.  I've spent the afternoon engaged in one of my favorite hobbies -- reading.

I've always loved to read. Through reading I've gained experience, perspective, and joy.  I believe that reading helps promote empathy, caring, and has made me a better teacher on every level.

One of my favorite quotes from The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller is on page 106.  "I do not promote reading to my students because it is good for them or because it is required for school success.  I advocate reading because it is enjoyable and enriching." (Off topic, but I love everything about The Book Whisperer - it gives me a reason to engage freely in what I love.  I am definitely an enthusiastic reader - in our budget, my "fun" money almost exclusively goes to books.)

I read because it makes me a better human being.

Last summer I won a signed copy of One for the Murphy's by Lynda Mullaly Hunt.  I walked around on a cloud for the rest of the week.  She included a bracelet with the title of the book and the slogan, "Be Someone's Hero" on it.  It's a little faded because I haven't taken it off since that day.  I use it as a reminder . . . that every day I need to be a hero to a child.  It was a lesson that I learned through her story.  It was a lesson that I was able to share with several in my class this year.  Ms. Hunt provided the tool to thrill and engage a child.  Her name signed across the cover made it even better.

Authors have always been heroes to me.  Through stories, I learned more about others which gave me more respect and a different perspective.  Authors have the power to change lives.

I can pinpoint when it started - Chris Crutcher, my junior year of high school.  Mike Printz (you might know him as the inspiration for the Printz Award - it always thrills me to see his name on books at bookstores proudly displaying the golden "P".  Yes, it always makes me pick the book up to read more) was our librarian.  He invited Chris Crutcher to do a week-long writing workshop with a group of 20 students.

To this day, I don't know how I was lucky enough to be a part of that group.  However, I do know it changed my life forever.

He was writing Crazy Horse Electric Game during his visit.  I remember doing workshops with him and having him share parts of his rough manuscript.  I remember marvelling at how this man was humbly asking my opinion -- a man who literally would have his words read by millions of people more qualified than I was.  Through him, and his stories, I learned that people often aren't what they show on the outside.  You never really know what's happening inside.  I learned to be kind because you really don't know what a person is experiencing.

I cried. I memorized passages. It helped to craft the person I am today.  His literature will always be important to me.

Stories are powerful.  Everything we learn is through story - or the creation of it.  Opening ourselves to the stories of others are important.  The pen has the power to change the world

My students know my passion for reading.  Often on Monday they ask what I read over the weekend.  Often I share part of it . . . and end up putting a story in the hands of a child.  Through that gift, I was able to open his/her eyes to possibilities.

So I'll keep my book budget.  I'll keep reading.  I'll keep sharing. 

Because in my eyes, authors are true heroes.

3 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your thoughts, and believe you, and educators like you, are true heroes as well. Thank you for sharing your passion for reading with your students, and with those of us fortunate to be in your PLN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...This port was a lot more than I bargained for :-) I am stunned by it really--and so very touched by it as well. Thank you so very much, Amy. I LOVE Chris Crutcher as well--his writing is raw and emotional and just so real. He is also one of the best speakers I have ever heard. And...Wait...Michael Printz was YOUR LIBRARIAN?! *falls on floor* :-) Thank you again, Amy. YOU are a hero. How I love caring, hard-working teachers like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spend quite a lot on books as well! Isn't it amazing how you feel like you really "know" the characters and the author when you finish a book? I was watching a Doug Fischer video today on close reading and he said that in college he would buy used books with some highlighting already in them (not too much) and he would feel like he had interacted with not only the author but also the last owner of the book! Books have that strange way of touching us in new ways!

    ReplyDelete